Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What is that head piece she has?




Have you ever noticed all those fancy headpieces people wear in those fantasy stories and games? Well the other day I was sketching and apparently called a circlet a tiara, I thought they were the same thing but I went and looked it up partly because I wanted to prove I was right and also it would make a decent blog. I found out that circlets are made of metal and circle the entire head they usually had a single gem in the front. Tiaras on the other hand only circle around half the head and thus leave the back open. Circlets came first but as hairstyles became more complex the back part of the circlet began to cause problems and so they took out half of the circlet and the tiara was born. The circlet didn’t die off though many people who weren’t of the upper class and thus didn’t have fancy dancy huge hairstyles tended to wear the circlet. The tiara thus became a symbol of the noble class and the circlet a headpiece of the lower.

No comments:

Post a Comment