Wednesday, November 18, 2009

FOOTBALL


So I overlooked my dad watching the football game and noticed something odd. The football that I used for back yard no rules pigskin throwing had stripes on it and the ones being used by the professionals didn’t so I decided to head out and looks it up. Originally all footballs had stripes the reason for this was too make it easier to pick out of the air and thus much easier to catch however when they designed the official ball for the NFL they decided to leave the stripes off so it would be more challenging to catch than its striped counterpart. The college leagues however did not remove the stripes from there balls. This is most likely because although some college players might be good they are still not considered professionals so they deemed that the aid of the stripes should be kept. The stripes are also kept on the commercially sold balls that you and I throw to or at each other every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment