Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Sit on it


This time it’s about the design of the humble chair. I was watching the news the other day and heard a story about how Japanese employers are measuring the waists of their employees and if they failed they were sent to counseling. So those good old Japanese found a solution to the office gut they made a chair that has the bottom cushion rotate in circles that work your lower abs or so they say. This made me think I thought that a chair was supposed to be a place to sit and relax not exercises. Then that led to something else was the chair actually invented to be a place to sit or was it invented to do something else. I wasn’t able to find much however I did find a small article that talked about how a chair was seen as a symbol of power in ages long past. This most likely is referencing the thrones of ancient times when chairs weren’t as common place as they were today and thus only the richer had them.

No comments:

Post a Comment